Ribbon Cuttings & Grand Openings
Host a ribbon cutting or grand opening event for your business with the Wilmington Chamber of Commerce. Offered at no charge to our members, these are a great way to spread awareness about your business. Ribbon cuttings can be held for new businesses, grand openings, remodeling, or anything else you think is worthy of hosting an event for. Fill out the form on this page to get started.
Before Your Event
Prior to hosting your event you should consider the following:
- Date and time. Please submit your request with as much advance notice as possible and keep in mind we may need to choose a different date. The Wilmington Chamber is run by volunteers who will do their best to accommodate your first choice, but scheduling conflicts are possible.
- Who will cut the ribbon? This will typically be the owners of the business but businesses may choose whomever they want.
- Who do you want in photos? We can take a big group photo or swap people in and out to have photos of different groups with the ribbon.
- Do you want to make any remarks or have a speech?
- Is this an event you want to invite the public to? You might consider the addition of refreshments, door prizes, and special decorations.
- Marketing. Coupons or special offers for your event are a good way to get people in your door and track where customers heard about you.
- Spreading the word. The Chamber will promote your event through our online channels but you may want to explore other options of advertising on your own, like a direct mail campaign.
What the Chamber provides
- We will promote your event, if the public is invited, through our website, community calendar, and social media
- The Chamber will provide the ribbon and ribbon cutting scissors for use at the event.
- Chamber officers will be invited to attend the ribbon cutting on behalf of the Chamber
Though the Chamber will promote your event, you should not rely solely on the Chamber to attract your audience. You are strongly encouraged to run your own promotional campaigns if you want to host a largely attended event. Invite your business partners, contractors, employees, clientele, friends, and family to celebrate your businesses milestone day.
After Your Event
- The Chamber will post the ribbon cutting photo on our website and social media, tagging your business and encouraging our followers to visit your business.
- An event photo and information will be made available to the Free Press Advocate for print in the local newspaper at their discretion if space is available.
- Make sure you stay plugged in with the Chamber. If possible, attend our meetings to stay informed. Whitelist our firstname.lastname@example.org email address to make sure you receive our emails. Continue to share with the Chamber what is happening with your business so we can share that on your behalf.
- Ask the Chamber to invite our entire membership (no cost to members)
- Send direct mail to local residents
- Offer samples of products or services to those attending
- Host a live stream on your social media
- Attend other Chamber events prior to your ribbon cutting to do some networking and personally invite members to your event
- Hold your event after a soft opening to build up a customer base before the official ribbon cutting